|Role||Finance and Office Manager|
|Organisation||European Lawyers in Lesvos (www.elil.eu)|
|Role||Full-time (9.30 – 17.00 Monday – Friday)|
The ‘European Lawyers in Lesvos Project’ is a joint legal assistance project between the Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe (CCBE) and the German Bar Association (DAV). These organisations represent the bars and law societies of 32 member countries and 13 further associate and observer countries across Europe, and through them more than 1 million European lawyers.
The main aim of the project is to send volunteer European asylum lawyers to Lesvos to provide pro bono legal assistance to individuals applying for international protection. The volunteer lawyers support, and work closely with, their Greek colleagues from the Mytilene Bar Association.
The project is one of only a small number of legal assistance projects with permission to work in Moria Reception and Identification Center on Lesvos. It has been operational in Moria since early August 2016. Our work has two core elements. Our primary focus is the provision of one-on-one legal consultations to help applicants prepare for their first instance asylum admissibility/eligibility interviews – in doing this, we are the only legal assistance project that focuses on providing information, practical support and tailored advice for applicants at the first instance stage of the asylum process. We also provide assistance to adults and unaccompanied minors with regard to their family reunification applications.
There are currently around 4,500 people in Moria and almost all require legal assistance. To help provide this – and therefore ensure individuals are able to realise their rights – we are looking to recruit a committed and experienced Finance and Office Manager to join our team in Lesvos, Greece to manage and oversee our financial operations.
The start date for this role is as soon as possible. We offer a competitive salary, details of which are available on request.
The role is based in Lesvos, Greece.
- Oversee the financial operations of the organisation
- Establish and maintain financial systems and procedures, including systems to record transactions and to monitor and forecast budget requirements to meet administrative and program expenditures, in line with statutory requirements
- Verify and authorise the making of payments
- Oversee cash management and manage payroll, financial disbursements, etc
- Manage financial control, prepare and analyse budgets, and monitor and advise on expenditure against budget targets
- Prepare timely and accurate financial reports
- Manage financial information and maintain all financial/accounting records and supporting documentation for all financial transactions
- Ensure timely compliance with financial procedures, reporting and auditing requirements
- Prepare and maintain donor agreements and staff contracts
- Ensure compliance with applicable statutory requirements
- Office management
- Provide orientation and training to team members on cost-effective working
- Manage the financial audits of the organisation
- Work with external consultants as required to support financial operations and management
Skills and experience required
- Degree in a business related field with a CPA qualification or equivalent
- In depth knowledge of Greek statutory requirements, including labour and tax law, and applicable accounting rules
- Thorough understanding of financial systems and audit guidelines
- At least 4 years’ experience of working in a senior position in Finance/Accountancy, preferably for an international organisation or INGO/NGO
- Understanding of donor policies and procedures
- Proven numeracy and financial analysis / planning skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to present financial matters to non-financial staff
- Fluency in Greek and English
- German language skills desirable
- General knowledge of German charity/tax law desirable
- High degree of computer literacy in Microsoft Office products – particularly Microsoft Excel – and financial and accounting software
- Experience in overseeing the smooth day-to-day management of an office
- Experience of establishing good working relationships with a variety of people of different nationalities
- Capable of being proactive and working independently
- Proven track record in delivering results in a pressurised environment
- Passionate about supporting the rights of refugees and migrants
- Culturally sensitive and able to adapt easily
To apply for this role, please send a CV and cover letter in English by email to the Project Coordinator, Philip Worthington (email@example.com).
Closing date for submission of applications: 12 October 2017.
Applications will be processed as they come and the position maybe filled before the above deadline. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. All applications will be treated with strict confidentiality.